Word Mix Lite
We’ve been working hard to get Word Mix and Word Frenzy migrated away from OpenFeint. Here is the short/long term plans:
For Word Mix, we had several platforms we could have used to replace OpenFeint. Due to the nature of some major updates we are working on in the near future (hint: it’s gonna be fun!), we decided to roll our own with the assistance of Parse. We feel that Parse will give use the most flexibility in building out some new features as well as the needed scalability that we will require. So, you may be asking: What will happen to all of my scores and achievements and items once this migration happens? Below is a breakdown of how things will work for the initial release:
- You will need to create an account in the app to get the most out of Word Mix now and in the future (hint again: The future will be really fun if you do!)
- You will be required to specify a unique username, email address, and password. Why do we ask for the email address? It is solely used to facilitate forgotten password requests. It will not be sold to aliens, used for nefarious purposes, or otherwise abused.
- You will be able to link with your Facebook account if you so desire (not required).
- Upon account creation, high scores will automatically be migrated to the new leader boards.
So, I create my account, what do I get out of it?
- Game syncing across all your devices including scores, items, and level progression.
- Your scores posted to the leader boards
- Access to additional features in later releases (Hint for the 3rd time: Trust us! It’s gonna be great!)
- Achievements may not make it into the initial release. Please keep in mind we intend to make achievements available with this service, it may just take us a bit longer to get those fully implemented.
But I spent so much time investing in my OpenFeint account. Why should I trust my data with this new service?
- The good thing about using Parse as our backend, if at any time we are dissatisfied with the service or Parse goes into shambles, Parse has been gracious enough to give us the ability to download all of the Word Mix data into a format that we can easily place into a new system. In other words, none of your data will be lost if Parse is shut down in the future as OpenFeint is now.
- Also, we are now able to backup all of your important game data and allow you to sync your games across devices!
Ok, I’m sold! When can I expect this awesome update to Word Mix???
- Be looking for it in Google Play and Amazon before December 14. It will be on the Nook by that date or a little after
Word Frenzy will be migrated over to Scoreloop for the foreseeable future. The Nook version of Word Frenzy has been on Scoreloop since it was released over a year ago. All of the features that Word Frenzy currently has will continue across to the Scoreloop infrastructure. For those of you with OpenFeint accounts, you will need to create a new account once the update has been released. You should be prompted to do so when the app starts for the first time. High scores should be migrated over once you create your account.
A minor update to Word Mix (and Lite) will be released in the next couple of days. The updates will include offline score storage. This will allow your score to be stored on your device and uploaded to the leader board automatically when you have an internet connection. Your score will also be portable. So, if you get a new device, reinstall the app, purchase Word Mix after playing Word Mix Lite for a while, when you sign into your OpenFeint account you will be able to migrate your scores over to the new install. Other updates include some dictionary updates and minor bug fixes.
The Android Market just gave developers the ability to see various statistics regarding their apps. Here’s a rough breakdown of Android versions that users of Greenrift Software applications are currently on:
- Android 2.2 (48.1%)
- Android 2.1 (27.7%)
- Android 1.5 (14.9%)
- Android 1.6 (8.4%)
- Android 2.3.3 (0.4%)
So, what can you glean from this? Well, for one thing, support for Android 1.5 will not be going away any time soon. Also, the most recent version (2.3.3) has very few users. If you happen to be one of those users, it would be very helpful to get any feedback on performance or bugs that you may find. As I find more interesting stats, I’ll post them. Thanks Android Market team! And thanks to you all for supporting Greenrift Software!
There has been a bug plaguing Word Mix and Word Mix Lite users. The bug involves force closes when a new level starts. This has been a very difficult bug to track down, but I have finally found the cause of it. The cause is a corrupted game dictionary. There are checks in place for this when a level starts, but alas, those checks appear to be not catching all instances of corruption. To work around this, the quickest thing you can do is go into the game settings (from the main menu press “Menu”->”Settings”) and update your dictionary. I’m working on a fix for this and hopefully will get it released as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused any of you! I’ll post when the update is released.
- Open Feint updates
- Dictionary improvements
- Bug fixes
In order to make sure your dictionary is up to date, from the main Word Mix menu, press your device “Menu” button, then press “Settings”. In the settings choose “Update Dictionary”. This should download the most recent dictionary updates. If you have any problems, please don’t hesitate to send an email!
- Bug fixes for force closes
- Improved save games.
- Modified the definition look up to fix a “word of the day” bug. Also, all words in the words list should now have definitions available. If not, please contact us.
- OpenFeint library update should make things more stable on the OpenFeint end.
- Fixed a bug with the Resume buttons on Word Mix
That’s about it for this go around. Be looking for an update to the common and advanced dictionaries in the near future. These are being cleaned up removing almost 4000 questionable words or abbreviations or slang terms.
This new release of Word Mix (and Lite) introduces OpenFeint to handle the high scores as well as newly added achievements. Signing up for an Open Feint account is free, easy and can be done inside of Word Mix. For those of you who have super high scores in the exiting leader board, it will be maintained until the next major release of Word Mix (a month or two) at which point it will be read only and then retired completely. So, if you want to continue to have your score tracked, please start an account with OpenFeint. Oh, did I mention that your existing high score can be uploaded in the leader board screen?
Also included in this update is a new theme for the app. For some reason I keep doing bluish themes. If anyone has any ideas for other colors, I’m open! Other updates include some bug fixes.
Thanks for your continued support! If you have any questions, comments, complaints, rants, problems, issues, or random thoughts, please feel free to contact Greenrift Software at firstname.lastname@example.org!
I’m listening to your concerns about the Phone Calls: read phone state permissions addition to Word Mix Lite. This was added in due to a requirement by the ad provider. I have contacted them to get a response as to why this is now required, as it wasn’t before. If their response is not to my liking I will change providers and remove the permission. If I do decide to keep the permission, I will post here (or in the comments) why the permission is there from the ad provider. If any of you experience issues with the permission, please let me know. I apologize for this. I should get a response from them some time today.